While on a visit in Romania, where Bill Gates participated in the celebration of 10 years since the Microsoft branch has been running there, and the launch of Vista, Microsoft’s president declared that, with the right amount of administration, the new Vista could run life support systems in hospitals. Here is a fragment from the interview:
Journalist: Let’s imagine a hospital where life support systems are running Vista. Would you trust it with your life?
Bill Gates: Security has been the top priority for Microsoft for quite some time and that’s why I put out a key call for us to focus on that in a very big way over three years ago, and that’s why we’ve made investments like having people from Gecad ( Romanian company ) join on the security action from Microsoft. The answer to your question is that, absolutely, Vista is the most secure operating system we’ve ever done, and if it’s administred properly, absolutely, it can be used to run a hospital or any kind of mission crytical thing. But it’s not as simple as saying “If you use Vista, that happens automatically”. The issues about patient records and who should be able to see them, the issue about setting up a network, so that authorized people can connect up to that hospital network, the issue about having backup power, so that the computer systems can run even if the generators go down. There are a lot of issues to properly set up that system, so that you have the redundancy and the security walls to make sure it fullfils that very crytical function. So we are working with partners to raise their skills to make sure that when get involved in an installation like that they can make it secure. So I feel better about Vista than any other operating system, but there’s a lot of things that need to be done well, and we’re certaintly committed to step up and make sure these security issues are ieasier and better understood.
But the real question that I must ask is this: Would YOU put your life in Vista’s hands? Do you trust it enough?
This would really give a new meaning to the “Blue Screen of Death“
Featured Tags bill-gates, security, vista
Sphere this entry»
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems. « ZF.WP Online
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems. « The Den Of Iniquity
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems. « The SearchLight
- People Camped out for Vista - Page 2 - MacNN Forums
- Remote Exploit of Vista Speech Control - Habbo Forum
- stephen’s blog » Blog Archive » Mr Gates, what are you smoking?
- Life support running Vista? at Crashweb.net
- Techigloo.com » Blog Archive » Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.
- Tam2.co.uk » Blog Archive » Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.
- Advocrazy » Blog Archive » My wish is your command
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems. « Network
- Hyper123.net » Blog Archive » Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.
- Doctors’ Gadgets - Medical PDA and EMR Blog » Bill Gates says Vista can run Life Support Systems
- Ashutosh Nilkanth’s Blog » Windows Vista Performance Guide
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.-- Undefined Matrix
- Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems. « Universe_JDJ’s News Blog
- Brock’s Life » links for 2007-02-02
- Bill Gates acha que o Windows Vista pode ser usado em sistemas de cuidados intensivos… « Miguel Lopes
- SomosPC - Yo soy un PC ¿Y tú, qué eres? » Bill Gates confía mucho en Windows Vista… ¿demasiado?
- Big Tech Blog » Blog Archive » Gates Sez Vista Is So Secure It Can Run Life-Support Systems
- Bill Gates on the HAL9000 at Nyquist Capital
- Design Ninjas » Blog Archive » Old Ninjas and Young Pirates
- Oma blogi » Blog Archive » Windows Vista puheentunnistus - shout hacking
- Deep Jive Interests » Vista To Run Life Support? How About A Simple Chest X-Ray?
- Another Vista News Post Tips Dr.com
- Robert McLaws: Windows Vista Edition : The Vista Daily #3
- Gates says Vista “so secure, it can run life support machines” : Osman Khan
- links for 2007-02-03 | ITsVISTA
- The Great Geek Manual » Linux on a Plane
- El Módem » Blog Archive » Perdiendo la batalla contra el ciber crimen
- Dax Desai.com » Blog Archive » Heard on the Street: Vista so reliable it can run your life support
- Bill Gates Trusts Vista with his Life? - CyberNet News
- Walt-O-Matic » Blog Archive » Got an ugly shock from Dell… it was Vista.
- Tech Blot » Blog Archive » Digg Adds Microsoft Section And US Elections 2008
- Vista hole allows files and folders to be deleted « usrbingeek’s musings
- Blue screen of death : Literally now » Our Picks - News, articles and reviews
- questions » Blog Archive » Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.
- TechCast Episode 47 - Three in a Bed-- TechCast Network
- The Transcontinental Penguin Super Show » Blog Archive » Episode 40: “Those Sick Bastards took my pants”
- BESComputers Blog » Blog Archive » Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems.